Normally if you E-file your taxes you should have your Federal refund in 7-10 days and State refund in the same amount of time. You have the option to carry your refund over to the next tax year if you expect to owe taxes in that year.

Did you know that you have the right to file a claim for a credit or refund within 3 years from the date you filed your original return. Normally, it will take lengthy amount of time for the refund or credit to be processed and sent to you. Further, you can do this within 2 years from the actual date you paid the tax to the IRS. State rules for requesting a credit or refund will differ from State to State.   

If you happened to live in a designated disaster area on the date for filing a credit or refund it can be delayed in most circumstances. Normally, the due date for your refund or credit can be postponed by up to one year if approved. It must be designated a Disaster area though, so make sure you have proper documentation. 

Additionally, people who didn’t file a tax return can usually get a refund from a tax overpayment from up to three years ago. This is the case if you failed to file your tax return and was entitled to a refund because of tax withheld. 

Now if you are applying for a refund or credit it may not be granted for different reasons.     You will not qualify if you are filing based on a bad debt, worthless investment or any foreign tax paid.

If you do not receive your refund within 14 days after E-filing, it highly recommended to look into possible processing problems with your tax return. Typically, if you file your tax return by paper, it will take much longer to receive your refund. Try using TurboTaxOnline to prepare your taxes and get your refund fast